17/09/2009

Blackburn & Myles

30 September – 24 October
Private view Tues 29 Sep 6-8pm


In the Main Gallery
KEN BLACKBURN: NEW WORK


Image: Arris XXV, mixed media & etched steel on board, 60 x 25cm

Over the years that I have been making these paintings, I have from time to time attempted to verbalise the reasons and motivations behind their production.
Initially, I would say that my paintings were reproductions of existing images of derelict industrial walls, which appeared abstract but were in fact representational.
On the other hand, I found that much of the time I couldn’t resist the urge to let each painting develop in its own individual and natural way and before long found that I was working in a much more process- based way. As such it’s hard to say if my work is processed or idea’s based. Making historical or contemporary references to other artists or ideologies whilst re-assuring, is not particularly helpful.
The reality in the studio is all about decisions and the desire to make something unique and impossible to duplicate.

Kenneth Blackburn



In the Upper Gallery
STILL FILMS: PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPOSITIONS BY NOEL MYLES


Image: Still Film of an Oak, lambda print, edition 12, 75 x 60cm

No comments:

Post a Comment